Home

Home - Marilynne Robinson From the Goodreads description we are told:"Glory Boughton, aged thirty-eight, has returned to Gilead to care for her dying father. Soon her brother, Jack--the prodigal son of the family, gone for twenty years--comes home too, looking for refuge and trying to make peace with a past littered with tormenting trouble and pain.Jack is one of the great characters in recent literature. A bad boy from childhood, an alcoholic who cannot hold a job, he is perpetually at odds with his surroundings and with his traditionalist father, though he remains Boughton's most beloved child. Brilliant, lovable, and wayward, Jack forges an intense bond with Glory and engages painfully with Ames, his godfather and namesake."I had read a book of essays by [a:Marilynne Robinson|7491|Marilynne Robinson|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1256021025p2/7491.jpg] and since I liked that book figured I would read more by her. I found this book on the [b:1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die|452208|1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die|Peter Boxall|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320483996s/452208.jpg|814053] list and decided to read it next. I have to say that I really loved this story. I wish it would have ended like the Prodigal son story did. lol. It was real life with all the attendant hopes, fears and grief. You see Jack and how his decisions have impacted his family and his own life and you see how families are all interrelated to each other. You find that when you say "I am only hurting myself" you are lying to yourself and to others. It had forgiveness and love, but also how sometimes we are unable to accept them. I was sad at the ending and it made me tear up. I listened to it at work so was unable to listen to more than one/two disks a day. :D Usually I have a hard time with audio books. I am unable to remember what was read but I had no problems with this book as read by [a:Maggi-Meg Reed|547911|Maggi-Meg Reed|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1328023778p2/547911.jpg].